Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kids Crafts Thursday - American Flag

With the 4th of July approaching, I found it only appropriate to make an American Flag this week. I came up with the idea for this craft on my own. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'm not the first person to make a flag like this, but I didn't find the specific idea for this craft anywhere...just in my own head. :)
Here is what you will need:
-Red ,White, and Blue card stock or construction paper
-Star stickers
-Scissors or paper cutter
-Glue
Pre-Project Prep:
-I used scrapbooking paper for this project so the flags would be a little sturdier. But, you could also use construction paper. If you do this, you'll need to adjust your measurements to fit the size of the construction paper.
-Take a piece of white 12x12 card stock and cut it down to 9x12.
-Take a piece of navy blue card stock (any size) and cut it to 4x6. Note: You'll see I have 2 here, but that's only because I'm making 2 flags. :)

-Take a piece of red card stock and cut 6 1x12 strips. Then cut 3 of them down to 1x6. Note: I did not take the time to try to figure out measurements to make the right amount of stripes. So, if you'd like an accurate flag, ignore these measurements completely. :)

Time to make some flags!!!
1. Have the child(ren) glue the blue piece of paper in the upper left hand corner of the white piece.
2. Have them glue the red stripes on. Start at the very bottom and then work your way up. We just kind of eye-balled where to put the next red stripe, but if you wanted to be more accurate and even, you could measure it out beforehand.



3. Once all the stripes are glued on, take some star stickers and put them on the blue piece. Once again...with a 2 year old and a 4 year old, I wasn't going for accuracy, so no, we do not have the correct number of stars or the correct placement of stars. We'll save that lesson for another day. ;-)

Ta-Da!
Isaac's Flag:
Ryleigh's Flag:

Project Review:

Both of my kids enjoyed this project. I was lucky today in the sense that Isaac let me help him so that his project does actually resemble a flag. This was a quick, easy, and fun project and I would recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment