Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kids Crafts Thursday - Father's Day Tool Box Card

Here's a cute idea for Father's Day card for the handy-man type Dad. I got the idea here. Here's what you'll need:



-Construction Paper (red, black, yellow)

-Tool Templates

-Scissors

-Glue/Glue Stick

-Crayons

-Coordinating Handy-Man paper (optional - I had this wood paper in my scrapbooking stash and thought it would be perfect)



Pre-Project Prep:

-Print out the tool template and cut out the tool shapes.

-Cut out the handle and lock. Trace the handle onto black construction paper and cut out. Trace the lock onto yellow construction paper and cut out.


-Fold the red piece of construction paper in thirds - as shown below:


-If you're using paper for the inside of the card, cut it if necessary. These were 12x12 sheets which I cut down to 8.5x11.

Get the kids - we're ready to begin!


1. Have the child(ren) glue the patterned paper onto the red construction paper then re-fold both the pieces together.

2. Have the child(ren) color the tools however they wish.

3. Have the children glue their colored tools on the inside of the card/tool box.

4. Have the child(ren) sign their name and write anything else they would like to in the card. Then fold it up. Glue half of the lock piece onto the bottom front of the card. Do not glue the entire piece or else dad won't be able to open the card! If you just glue the bottom part, the top flap will be able to slip under the top piece of the lock, holding the box shut. Glue the handle to the top.

Write on the outside if you wish.

Here is Isaac's completed card:




Ryleigh's:







Project Review: This project went well for both of my kids. I could have given more responsibility to Ryleigh by letting her cut out her own tools, but with all the pre-project prep that I did it worked out well for Isaac. This is a cute, easy, and fun project. I would recommend it! :)

2 comments:

  1. looks very cute, we will use this next month for sure! Thanks!! I thought about using corrigated cardboard if I can't find that decorative paper. Nothing like letting the kids tear apart a box:)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across this today. I was trying to find something that I could make for my husband for Father's Day that my one-year old could help with. This is perfect. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete