Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Mommyhood Madness - Time Off

As a mom you don't get time off. Period. There are no sick days, no accuring vacation time, no leaving work at the office. It's a 24/7 job that lasts 18+ years. But I was reminded this weekend about how important it is to get away from it all once in a while. I was able to go out for a girl's night Friday night. Shelly and I went out for drinks and some appetizers (which we got at a GREAT price - BONUS! *wink*). Then we headed to Mandy's for a party. It was so nice to be able to take the time to make myself look nice, go out, have a few drinks, and just get away from it all. It made me feel like ME for a change. I put so much into my kids, my house, and my family that I often forget about me. And while its a sacrifice I make willingly, I think its important to remind myself that there is more to who I am than 'Mommy'. And I need to do it more often! Even though we may spend half of our time away discussing the kids and worrying about them, its still time away and it makes all the difference! I know this is a common problem among moms and we all know its a problem...so why is it that we don't try to fix it? Lack of time? Lack of energy? Guilt? Lack of a babysitter? Lack of money? A little of all of those for me. I've come a long way recently...thanks in large part to my mother-in-law who is able to take the kids for me so I can hit the gym or go out for a run. I feel like after almost 5 years I'm finally starting to put more back into myself and I'm sure its making me a better mom. More girls nights out are definitely needed, though! What do you say, ladies???

No comments:

Post a Comment