Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday Reflections - Head or Heart?

I need a job...for financial reasons as well as social and psycological reasons. I've been a SAHM for 4.5 years now. And while I'm so happy to have been able to stay home and raise my children, I just feel like I need more. I miss adult conversations and knowing what's going on in the world around me. I often feel like I'm in my own little world...the world of mommyhood where breaking news is when there's potty training success or when a new episode of Dora is on. While its nice to hide out in Mommy world sometimes, I'm ready to emerge into the real world again...or at least partially. I'm not ready for a full-time job at this point...I don't think I'll ever be a career mom. I still want to be here to welcome my kids home from school, to take them to and from practices, and go to their sporting events and school concerts. I don't want to have to scurry around looking for childcare when there's a snow day or have to worry about calling out of work when one of my babies is sick. So, basically I need a part-time job with decent income potential and a super flexible schedule. Easier said than done. I've browsed the classifieds on numerous occassions and this dream job I'm looking for just doesn't exist. I've already tried starting my own business. And I did like it. The problem was not only did I have to run the business, but I had to make all the inventory I was selling as well. It didn't take me long to get completely overwhelmed. My kids and my marriage and MYSELF got put on the back burner. So unfortunately that didn't work out. And while I'd love to do something similar again, realistically I'm not going to have the time required to put into it until both of the kids are in school. But I need money NOW. So, that got me thinking about becoming a consultant for one of the many at-home sales based companies. Immediately two came to mind - Close to My Heart and Tastefully Simple. I love the products of both of these companies and both of them seem to have great support systems. Here is where I'm torn. My crafty nature draws me to Close to My Heart. They have an incredible line of scrapbooking and stamping tools and supplies which I would love to be able to introduce to everyone - and get to use them myself! And, really...who doesn't want a job doing something they truly LOVE. But, I believe the income potential and customer base would be greater with Tastefully Simple. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE their products as well and would be happy to go to people's homes and let them sample such awesome, great-tasting food products. EVERYONE can use and likes food products. Also once they try them, they're likely to be back for more. But, is the market already too saturated with Tastefully Simple consultants??? It seems like everyone knows someone who is a TS consultant already. On the other hand, there are fewer Close to My Heart consultants in the area, but the market is much smaller - scrapbookers vs. people who eat. You see my dilemma?? Decisions, decisions...I'd love to hear what you all think! And stay tuned to see what I decide. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment